
On Saturday, I went to see the off-Broadway show "Rooms: A Rock Romance."
Not since I first saw Passing Strange in March '08 have I left a theatre almost speechless. Both after "Passing Strange" and "Rooms," the only thing I could think to say was, "Brilliant.
The story kind of reminded me of "Once," with two people falling in love while making music together. Although unlike "Once" in which the two characters never could be together, a full love story develops between these two. You see them in love and see them have falling outs, all the while continuing to maintain realism within the relationship and the story. Most shows nowadays that feature love stories aren't completely believable, which is okay since theatre, especially musicals, requires us to suspend our beliefs and fall into the musical world in which things are sped up for the sake of telling a story. However, "Rooms" manages to keep you with the story and believing in the story from start to finish though. Much of that has to do with the writing, and so much with the two actors, Leslie Kritzer and Doug Kreeger. Other than Leslie's inability to hold onto the Irish accent, the performances of these two were so strong. They don't demand your attention, but rather you willing give it to them every single second.
Please go see this and fill the theatre because a show like this is deserving of a full audience. I know it will capture your heart like it did mine.

3 comments:
ugh.
:)
hi, it's jan
love,
jan
p.s i'm seeing this with todd soon
Hi Jan,
It's me, Stef. Go see if because you will love it.
Love,
Stef
Post a Comment